So you’re thinking about Speedrunning Mega Man All Stages (Any%)? Well, then you’re in the right place. While the amount of tricks and pixel perfect strategies might seem daunting, fret not, we’re here to help you.
Mega Man is not only a fun and classic title on the NES, it is also one of the best and most rewarding speedgames out there. Below you can find links to a few tutorials, instructions for how to do certain tricks, as well as my recommendation on which order you should go about and learn all these things.
Please note that learning one trick at the time is recommended rather than trying to pack in as much as possible in the beginning. You will save yourself from a lot of resets and piling up those PB’s while steadily improving is one of the most rewarding things you can do with this game. Also have in mind that a lot of these tricks takes a lot of practice to learn. Hang in there and keep trying and you’ll get it!
If you have any questions feel free to join the Classic Mega Man (Speedruns) discord server, and make sure to check out some of the runs on the Mega Man RTA Leaderboards.
- Beginner Tutorial by Niss3 (Newest!)
- Beginner Tutorial by EndySWE
- Beginner Route Run by EndySWE
- Advanced Robot Master Tutorial by WhiteHat94
- Advanced Wily Stages Tutorial by WhiteHat94
- How To: Magnet Beam Grab by Nudua
- How To: Buffer Strat by Tootoo
- How To: Buffer Strat by KLM
- Mega Man Page On Splits.io
- Charleon’s Mega Man 1 Tutorial (Quite outdated but still helpful)
Tips & Tricks:
- If you are just getting started and struggle with the Early Magnet Beam, please note that going for Guts Man first is a very viable strategy. EMB saves around 15-20 seconds and there are Guts First times on the leaderboard going down as low as 20:29. And let’s not forget COOLKID’s old 19:56 World Record was done with Guts first.
- Make it into a habit to press Select when taking damage as soon as possible.
- Jump into boss corridors to make sure Mega Man keeps momentum.
- Jump at the top of the ladders to make sure Mega Man keeps momentum.
- Jump and press Down on the d-pad to align yourself to ladders.
- When Mega Man grabs a ladder, the next shot will be in the opposite direction of where he was facing.
- In Mega Man you can buffer inputs during screen transition. If you want to switch weapon before a boss fight, make sure to hold Start already from when the boss HP is showing up. This works for all types of screen transitions and inputs (ie. when jumping first thing after a screen wrap).
- Overall movement is one of the most time saving things in this game. Keep playing and you will steadily improve.
- If you shot while the first fire shot is still on screen, but your fire shield is no longer active, you will get the fire shield glitch and a new fire shield will stay active for a very long time. Great way to save fire ammo on the W2 boss fight.
Recommended Learning Order:
As recommended by Tootoo, opinions might differ.
Easy (or important) Strats
- Select To Stop Knock Back When Taking Damage
- Fire Man First Zip Ladder Setup (Screenshots)
- Easy Wily 3 Setup
- Refight Skip
- Bomb Man Zip Ladder Setup (Screenshots)
- Optimize Boss Fights (Assgrab, taking damage in Cut Man, safe Clone Fight etc.)
- Early Magnet Beam (Screenshots)
- Ice Man First Zip Buffer Strat
- Fire Man Buffer Strat
- Quick Fire Man First Zip Setup
- Big Fire Zip
- Wily 1 Buffer Strat
- Easy Wily 4 Start Zip
- Easy Guts Man Start Setup
- Wily 3 Dupes & Buster Backup
- Drop Shots For Elec Man Stage
- Elec Man Corner Jump
- Guts Man Buffer Strat
- Elec Man Climb With Damage
- Corridor Zips
- Quick Wily 3 Setup
- Damageless Elec Man Climb
- Fast Guts Man Start Setup
- Ice Man Water Zip
- Bomb Man Middle Zip
- Ice Pixel For Faster Zip Setups
- Ice Man BB Setup
- Quick Wily 1 Beam Room
- Bomb Man Zip Ice Pixel Setup
- Wily 4 Ice Pixel Spike Zip
- Nudua Fall
- Early Magnet Beam Top Exit
- Quick Wily 4 Start Zip
- Ice Man Double Water Zip
- Swagline Yellow Devil Kill
- Fire Man Middle Zip
- Running Ice Pixel
- Wily 2 Skips
- Bomb Man JoeNoMo
- Wily 1 Spike Zip
Other Useful Information & Videos:
- Various Strategy Comparisons by Niss3
- Guts Man Strategy Comparison by Niss3
- Mega Man RTA Wiki
- Ice Man Buffer Zip vs No Wrap Comparison by EndySWE
- Elec Less W4 Zip Setup by EndySWE
- Ice Man Double Zip by KLM
- Ice Man Double Zip by CartinaCow
- Early Magnet Beam Pause Buffer by KLM
- Guts Man Triple Zip by CartinaCow
- Wily 2 Skip Buffer Strat by CartinaCow
- Wily 2 Skip Optimal Jumps vs Buffer Strat Comparison by CartinaCow
- Bomb Man Double Zip Comparison by CartinaCow
- Early Magnet Beam Top Exit Comparison by CartinaCow
- World Record Progression